Monday, November 28, 2011

3rd Observation

By this time my microaquarium has lost a bit of water and the Utricularia is decaying more rapidly. Two of my organisms, Tachysoma and Paramecium have gotten immensely larger. I noticed a fewer number of Euchlanis rotifers, but an increase in Lecane rotifers. There was also decrease in planarians, but an increase in juvenile Cyclops. We saw, but were unable to capture a picture of an adult Cyclops with larvae attached. We concluded that in this last week the adult released its eggs and led to the huge increase in juveniles. Dr. McFarland and I noticed an increase in activity near the water's edge ehich is due to the organisms' need for oxygen which is nearest the surface.
Even with my third observation I was able to discover new organisms in my microaquarium.  These were Actinosphaerium, Anabaena, Coleochaete, Gloecystis, Difflugia, Epalxix, and Lorica (an organism that resembled an outer shell of an annelid, which we were unable to capture a picture of or find out much about). Three of the new discoveries were types of algae. One of them, Anabaena, with visible heterocysts (ntirogen-fixing mechanisms).

Figure 9: Patterson. Fig 394

Figure 10: Prescott. Fig 318

Figure 11: Coleochaete. Tiffany. Fig 75



Figure 12: Gloecystis. Prescott. Fig 48

Figure 13: Chlamydaster. Patterson. Fig 402

No comments:

Post a Comment